Friday, March 6, 2015

Lenten Reflections & La Playa De San Pedro with the Ladies



Travel Beachwear
Crocket Top || Marshalls
 *Not ethically made, but upcycled from previous design
Teal Women's Swim Tank Top || Urban Outfitters
*not ethically made
Fusia Women's Swim Bottom || Prana
Fair trade and sustainably made
Macarme Argentinian Aragonite Necklace || c/o Simply Sustainable
Directly sourced materials, handmade jewelry, and fair trade goods


After a short walk, bus ride, and a mototaxi, we made it to the beach! This would be my first time riding a small bus in Latin America. For some reason the bus had Korean written on the doors... I'm assuming they were previously Korean buses of some sort. When we hopped of those and walked down to the waterfront we realized that the beach was quite dirty, with plastic bags floating and brown bubbles in clumps above the waves. I then saw this girl pull a 10 foot blue tarp out of the water, as though she had found a treasure. I suppose that is definitely something unexpected and interesting. When I saw that pass, I felt bad for the dolphins in the water (yes, we saw about 6). 

Aside from my environmental observations, my friends and I had fun. While we were at the beach so many people walked by selling things (soccer balls, swimwear, food...). We ended up buying a lot of treats to snack on during our three hour stay. Yummy yummy tamales and marcianos(ice pops) for me! So much fun... but now I am more sun burnt than a small piece of potato that fell off the french fry rack. Note to self: more sunscreen next time!

***

Unlike anytime before, this second week of Lent is being spent in a different country. Why am I here? Foremost, I am here to serve others using the talents God has given me (photography, working with children, and organizing projects). Lent is meant to be a time of reflection, sacrifice, and service. As I am here to serve, I am also trying to figure out what it means to live out my faith when I am not physically among others or doing something for others. It is easy to do God's work as I serve others, but when I on my own, how do I serve and glorify God? And why? This morning I was reading in Psalms 119:1-8 which begins with,

"Blessed are the undefiled in the way,
who walk in the law of the Lord!
Blessed are those who keep His testimonies,
who seek Him with the whole heart."
(Psalms 119: 1-2)

This is only part of the verse. When I compared different translations the messages weren't identical but they gave the same general idea, if you love God, you follow His commands, and in this you give Him praise. So much of my life has been composed of serving others and being constantly on the move. I think this has caused me to forget what it means to be in the silent. I know I have felt this way before, but I am not sure if I have truly invested time to do something about it that will have a long-term impact. Out here in Peru I am blessed with this time away from my community because now I can learn to discover who I am alone and alone in Christ. When you are alone for a long period of time, with no interaction to others, how do you serve and glorify God? And why?

"Religion is more about God loving me than me loving God or loving others."
-- Little Books, Lenten Book



Happy Second Week of Lent,
Christine



Check out more on my  Instagram & Facebook! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Christine, it is sad that the beaches were so dirty there... hopefully they will want clean them up some day, especially for the mammals in the water... I feel for them too...

    What an amazing shot of you jumping in the air... fabulously captured xox

    I know what you mean about being silent and being there for Heavenly Father through service... I had allowed my busy life to take that away which is what I am now trying to change again. I am a work in progress daily... It is great that you want to serve others, it is a beautiful thing xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun beach pictures - I'm jealous :)
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, pictures are so funholic .. looks like you had soo soo much of fun.
    keep in touch doll.. Follow you, hope you follow back
    http://glamforgood.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the lovely comment. God bless & stay Be-you-tiful!