Monday, June 24, 2013

The Game of Success: Part II, It's Not Always About Your Competition

Part II, you made it! If you haven't yet read Part I, Heart Comes Before Career, definitely hop on over.  Before I share details on this second part of The Game of Success series, I wanted to share some pictures from a candy shop adventure I went on during a recent lunch break with one of my research partners. :)

---  Enjoy!  ---



Okay Now! So, the first thing I HAVE to say is that I am a culprit of not completely upholding the "intrinsic value... recognition within" which I preach.  Of course life is made of inconsistency and I am not always on my "A-game," but seriously ladies, gaaaah.

First, let's peek at the definition of success as written by dictionary.com (because I use this source a lot).

suc·cess

  [suhk-ses]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals.
2.
the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
3.
a performance or achievement that is marked by success, as by the attainment of honors: The play was an instant success.
4.
a person or thing that has had success, as measured by attainment of goals, wealth, etc.: She was great success on the talk show.
5.
Obsolete outcome.
Based on this definition, I see no direct implication that there is a competition going on. To succeed you really don't have to be the best, although it feels so great to be the best.  

The other day I had a talk with a mentor and shared frustrations about feeling like I was at a completely different level of understanding from one of my peers.   My mentor told me that I think completely differently and that I need to focus on myself.  I was told that if I focus on the way I think and exercise and advance in the way that I think then I will be propelled towards my success.  I suppose I put a box around the path way to achieve a particular goal of mine.

As my friend Amanda from Tender Art told me numerous times, 
"People make assumptions
and I have to tell them,
'Don't put me in a box!'" 

 This is what I was doing when I compared myself to my peer.  My mentor pointed out that I don't need to think like someone else to reach success because the way I think is so unique. This is what will continue bringing me success.  My mentor told me from personal experience that if I were to focus on how I think and build upon my own thinking, it can bring me to success beyond that that I have placed for myself.

So my note to you today is this: do not always compare yourself to those that may seem ahead. Although you may want certain character traits you see in "that person," (the one who seems to be on top of all their goals) you need to build on who you are and not tell yourself that there is only one path to reach a certain goal. You are unique and with that you learn differently and don't need to put yourself on a concrete journey to what you think will bring you your outcome. Do you get it?

Going back to the point of this blog: 
be you
build on your talents
think the way you do
learn from others but allow your journey to progress in concert with your unique attributes, ways of thinking, and passions


Peace out world changer,
Christine


Follow on Bloglovin


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous25.6.13

    So inspiring Christine, and you're right! I had a conversation with my dad a few years ago saying I was frustrated that I was so different in my department. He said, "think of that as a positive thing...you bring unique things to the table, and being different is what will set you apart at the end and turn out to be your strength."So I totally resonated with this!! You're amazing, and LOVE the pics!! xoxo, Nadia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous28.6.13

    you look gorgeous dear!
    Really like your Outfit and your pictures!
    Wish you a beautiful day.

    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you always take cute pictures like that?!!! I really like it!

    with love, Cassandra xx
    http://backtofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your pictures !

    super cute

    {new post on my blog}

    http://stylista0fashionista.blogspot.com/2013/06/blue.html

    xo
    Nada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Love your pics... and those sandals! <3
    xoxo

    novelstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I have some of the candy pleaseeeeee!Must be really nice to have a mentor to guide you through. And it's so true to ask people to not put you in the box. We tend to stereotype people too much.

    Ah well.

    YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR BLOG!!!

    with love, Cassandra xx
    http://backtofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the lovely comment. God bless & stay Be-you-tiful!